Here at Macadams, we’ve been established for over 50 years. And how times have changed since we’ve been in business! Particular with the many cars that we pick up and work on every single day. Let’s take a trip down memory lane and look at car features that are now nearly obsolete! The tax disc being banished is just the start of it…
- Road maps! Who remembers embarking on a family journey and being in charge of the trusty map? Sales of road maps are now dramatically in decline as road users turn to their phones or Sat Navs to get them from A to B.
- The good old Choke! Try and explain that one to the younger generation…The manual choke gradually disappeared from our cars in the 1990’s.
- Ashtrays. Back when drivers could have a puff in the car on a cigarette that they lit on the in-car cigarette lighter. These are now mostly replaced with sockets with a blank insert. And ashtrays…Well, they’re long gone!
- Wind up windows! Before 2000, electric windows were a luxury reserved only for the front of cars (I.e the parents!). Since then, wind up windows are becoming less and less common.
- Cassette car stereos. Cars used to be littered with cassettes that were used to play the latest music! They were replaced with CD Players, and now even CD players and being filtered out in favour of wireless music playing.
- Unlocking the car with a key! Can you remember the last time you did this? We’ve been using fobs for years now, we can barely remember it!
There are many more that we’re just not ready to come to terms with losing yet, such as the handbrake! Only 1 in 3 new cars have a manual handbrake now! What do you miss most about older cars? Let us know over on our facebook page!