Whether you prefer to get a new car every couple of years, or you’ve had the same classic ride since the 90’s, there’s one thing we all have in common. We want to keep our cars running smoothly! It’s easy to neglect your car, but keeping on top of its maintenance can maintain its value and extend its life. Here are our tips that are quick and easy, but will positively impact the way your car runs.
- When was the last time you changed your engine oil? It’s recommended that we change it every 3 months, or every 3000 miles, as its essential in keeping the engine running smoothly. If you tow a trailer, drive in dusty conditions, or frequently drive in stop-and-go traffic, you should change your oil more often. Short trips without letting your engine warm up can contaminate your oil and require more oil changes than average too.
- The battery of your car stores the energy required to start your engine. Keeping the battery clean and secured so it doesn’t vibrate, can go a long way to keeping it healthy.
- Have you ever changed your cars air or oil filters? If you haven’t, you’re probably not alone! These are usually changed when the car is serviced, but they’re relatively simple to do yourself and unclogging them can make a huge difference to your engine.
- Check your tyres. This one is so important, and could also save your life as well as your fuel! Under inflated tyres will cost you more in fuel but are also extremely dangerous to drive on. Check your handbook for advice.
- Don’t use your air-con? You might want to! Air-con systems that aren’t used can leak refrigerant gases and therefore cost you more in the long run to fix. Ensure you let it blast out every few weeks – even if it’s freezing!
There’s one more… Be kinder to your car, and the environment. It’s said that driving smoother can make a massive difference to your car. Repair bills reduced, as well as fuel bills. Go easy on that pedal!
How do you keep your car ticking smoothly? Let us know on our Facebook page!